Thursday, August 19, 2010

Bon Voyage!!


So, I left Boise today to begin the adventure of my lifetime. Recently I decided to offer myself up for a 15 month rotation to Washington DC to assist my Company in their federal practice. I kind of made the decision spontaneously, and once I began inquiring about the rotation, the whole process snowballed so quickly I no longer felt like I had much of a choice. As such, I am now on my way to living in DC. I have never really been to the east coast, so I anticipate the move being quite the escapade and hopefully many good times, experiences, and lifelong memories.
Over the past week I have said goodbye to all of my closest friends in Boise, which has been fairly difficult. Last night I said goodbye to Blake and Tim which have been two of my best friends over the past several years. It was a very nonchalant “goodbye, see you soon” which is exactly what I needed, or else they would have been stuck at my house for hours longer as I cried on the floor in fetal position. Of any of my friends, I know those two will keep in contact and hopefully make their way to DC to come and visit me! This morning I finished packing up all of my belongings and loading them into my car and luggage. As I began to get overwhelmed I called up my other good buddy Kyle and forced him to come back to my house and help me. After everything was packed we proceeded to have a dance party in my empty bedroom to The Backstreet Boys’ “I want it that way” for good time sake. Kyle then took me to the airport to begin my journey.
Before going to DC I am flying to Houston to hang out with some of my buddies from work that I have met over the past few years at annual training. I flew from Boise to Denver where I had a flight change. While going through security I was pulled aside so that an agent could check my duffel bag full of jewelry, which they thought was fishing gear…who knows? My layover was only supposed to be thirty minutes long, which I was very excited about. Upon landing in Denver and deplaning, I looked at the departure screen to notice my flight had been delayed an hour and forty five minutes?! I proceeded to sit in the terminal and watch 48 Hours Mystery episodes on my laptop until the plane finally arrived. Now, I am in the air and hoping we get to Houston at a decent hour. Additionally, I am hoping my friend Joe comes inside to get me as I have way too much luggage and was already a complete mess trying to get it all into the Boise Airport by myself.
I will be in Houston for the next several days. I have never been to Texas but am totally dreading the heat and the humidity. Other than that, I think I am going to have a great time. From Houston, Tisha (my future DC roommate) and I will drive to DC, beginning Sunday. I believe the total drive time is somewhere around twenty hours. We don’t really know each other well, so I guess this will be the big test. If we can survive being stuck in a car with one another for a few days, I think we can survive living together in a random city for the next year!
Alright! Here’s to a great 15 months, lots of memories, an abundance of new friends, and a life changing experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment